Monday, February 2, 2009

Two Firsts...

Today is both my 31st birthday and my first day at home with two kids, alone. Surprisingly, it went very well! Although thinking of clever ways in which to balance out two kids on a schedule while actually needing to get places on time, I was actually a little impressed with the amount of multi-tasking I was able to achieve at home...although I didn't need to actually be anywhere else today.

So, even though I would not normally choose to spend a birthday alone with two kids for the very first time...I was still delightfully happy that at least - I have TWO kids who are healthy and with me, thank God. Yes, I chose to be positive today. Even though Hunter was up ALL night long (choosing to sleep almost all through the night over the weekend when we actually had Daddy available to help out with night time duties) last night, allowing only 2.5 hrs sleep until his sister woke up. How am I going to do this all week long? I will figure it out.

You know what I thought was the best part of my day? I was finally able to take care of Madison and Hunter myself...and it felt normal and great! It was awesome. I was finally able to be a "Mom" 100% again.

Mad and Hunter did really well today. No, was not able to coordinate a joint nap today between kids, but I did catch myself being able to nurse Hunter while sitting next to Madison doing a puzzle with her and talk on the phone at the same time. Both kids got dressed, fed and napped today. I got dressed this afternoon, which is better than evening, right? :)

It was a great day. Celia showed up this morning with chocolate covered strawberries and a gift certificate from my neighborhood girlfriends to a local spa! Then, Karen showed up with Starbucks, a beautiful card and great conversation (she, too, has kids close together in age). Jenny also came over with cookies and a card. And, I got many wonderful cards, emails and calls from my close friends - from Atlanta to Charlotte to Houston and Portland. I love you and thank you!!!



















1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Congratulations on your 1st day alone with the babies!!! I know you will do fine. Try to enjoy these moments because they will go so fast!!! My baby turned 27 yesterday as well!!! Happy Belated Birthday!!! Your babies are just precious!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Phyllis in Texas