Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm Outta Here!!

Guess what? That's right folks...I'm busting out of this joint!

No, but actually, they are releasing me tomorrow! What sweet, sweet music to my ears!! Mark will come pick me up tomorrow afternoon. I just can't believe it. I am so, so happy. We've made it! Although we still have a bit farther to travel on this journey, we have come a long, long way! We have accomplished a huge goal. My doctor was very proud, to say the least. Thanks to my doctors and nurses, all of you who have encouraged and supported me, and to all of our powerful prayers - together - we have successfully achieved this mission. What once seemed like an enormous, almost impossible mountain to climb, I feel like I - or, we - have reached its summit. (Now, just a little further! About 4 more weeks would be nice!)

We (surprisingly) received an ultrasound and exam this morning. Here are the highlights:

- Healthy, growing baby: He now weighs exactly 5 lbs and measures at 34 weeks to date.
- All body parts are growing in proportion
- Placenta looks healthy
- Breech baby, not going to turn, but his bottom is down with legs extended upwards, which is ideal (as opposed to a leg/foot descended)
- Amniotic fluid low, but not dangerous enough to keep me in here. They'd like to see it at a 15, and it is measuring 9.
- Cervix is extremely short, so have to be careful, but no dilation.
- Doctor said he "feels sure the baby will stay in a couple more weeks." Hopefully, it will be more!
- Will be on bedrest at home. I'll resume care under my OB/GYN in our town (who coincidentally trained under two of my Perinatologists here), seeing them once/twice a week. Waiting to hear more specifics on that, after the doctors consult.
- Spoke to managing nurse of NICU of hospital in our hometown. They are capable of taking care of babies over 30 wks gestation and can support any lung issues. If need nitrous oxide, neuro, or cardio support, baby will be life flighted to Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. If mother can't accompany baby to Houston, they will put a web cam at baby's isolet and give mother web cam in hospital back home, so mommy can still see baby!

I am so happy to go home. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't admit I was a little nervous. Although it will be nice to be in the comfort of my own home, (as I've said before) I will not have the luxury of daily tangible reassurances that the baby is okay. (i.e. constant nursing supervision, daily doctor visit, fetal heart monitoring, etc.) We'll go cold turkey from having constant monitoring, down to one doctor's office visit per week. Yikes! I'm sure all will be fine, but it will be a small adjustment.

I did have a wee bit of a cry earlier today due to the reason mentioned above and the fact that I will miss my nurses SO much. I have had such a wonderful experience here. My, if you're going to have a baby (or have a complicated pregnancy), this is the place to be. I didn't realize how nationally renown this Perinatology group is - they're even on TV quite often, travel around making speeches and consult for other doctors frequently. Just as importantly, my nurses have been incredible. I've never experienced this before. It's not seemed like they're "just doing their job", but that they genuinely care about me. They have become my friends. My family. I've relied on them more than anyone.

It's so cool because even if the nurses have no reason to be in my room, they still come to sit and visit with me. It helps to break up the day, to make me feel less isolated. I know about their families, their vacations, their likes and dislikes. I don't think I've talked so much in my life. The same goes for the food staff and the housekeeping staff. They just pop in to visit me, for no reason at all, but to talk to me. And, they like to see my decorations or any new pictures. :) Or to hear of new Hollywood gossip.

One nurse technician, whom I've only met twice, came to visit with me on her break. She gathered a few needlepoint projects from her home and brought them to me. She had seen that I liked art/crafts and thought I may like to do this, too. She said the hobby was a stress reliever for her and she didn't want me to have any stress in here. I'd never done any needlepoint, but she taught me how to cross stitch on her break. It was so, so nice of her and I won't forget it.

Also, one day, for some crazy reason, I was really anxious about the whole nursing thing, since we'd had so many feeding issues with Madison as a preemie. Anyhow, two nurses knew this. One printed out and highlighted all this information for me. Another brought me several books she had from her house from when her kids were younger.

A final example is that one of my favorite night shift nurses that I've come to love, brought me a Christmas present and a very kind card! She bought me some really adorable wine glass markers! Just because she wanted to. It was so, so sweet.

I am very fortunate to have had a great experience here. But I am most especially thankful to still have my healthy baby boy. And I am most grateful to God and his protection and healing. He is so faithful. I knew I could trust in Him. He has always proved it to me before in so many ways. And He will continue to be with us in the next few pertinent weeks.

Doctors: 6
Weeks in the hospital: 8
Needle sticks: 28
Days in the hospital: 56
Fetal heart monitoring: 172
Interrupted sleep: numerous
Distasteful hospital meals: too many

And one, big (tiny) miracle in progress...

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I am so happy for you! Your post brought tears to my eyes, God is so good. I will pray for your transition to being home. Enjoy the sweet time with your family!!

Anonymous said...

What a testimony! Thank you Lord for always being faithful! I am so happy that you and Hunter are going home - I am so excited for you that I feel like SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Maybe "shouting for joy" is a little more appropriate.) I told Ariana before she went to bed tonight and she lets out a huge grin!!! Will continue to pray for your transition. =)

The Arnold Family said...

YEA! We're so happy you're going home! Congratulations!! Breast feeding is very hard even with a baby born to term. I had so many problems too (along with some depression) so don't feel bad if you can't. You done so much to keep little Hunter healthy and that is what is important!

Trista & Chris said...

What a miracle Danae and Hunter! Hope you have a safe trip home! Praying for you always.
Trista

Allison said...

Freedom is calling!!!! Congratulations on weathering your stay with such a happy heart and fabulous attitude! I am sure that is why all of your nurses, etc. enjoyed visiting you so much. Can't wait to see pictures of hunter....in a month!!!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Hooray! I can't tell you how happy this makes me, I'm smiling knowing you will no longer be away from your precious little girl and that you've surpassed so many obstacles to keep that sweet boy cooking away. Your determination and focus was so encouraging and I know you are a blessed woman. Praise God for His provisions!