Monday, December 1, 2008

Update 12/1

Here are highlights of what's going on with me and baby Hunter:

1. This morning, Dr. Reiter said will keep me here until 34 weeks. If all is well and nothing changes, they will release me then. I need to decide where we want to deliver the baby: Houston or Beaumont. If I want him delivered in Houston, that is fine with Dr. Reiter, but I'll need to stay at someones house until that time comes. If I want to deliver him in Beaumont, we need to run that by my OB/Gyn doctor and the hospital to make sure they're equipped, in case the baby comes early. It will be much easier, in many respects, if I can deliver in Beaumont.

2. Per my request, we will get an ultrasound tomorrow or Wednesday (rather than wait two more weeks - making it 5 wks total? No thanks.). They will supposedly give me another ultrasound right before discharge, to make sure nothing pops up (i.e. dilation) last minute.

3. Have had just a few contractions and he's had a few heart decels, but nothing regular. A few times, they've kept me on the monitor for a longer than usual amount of time, but each time, everything turned out to be okay.

4. The rest of the MTHFR results have come in. Results were not great, but they could have been worse. In layman's terms, I have one mutation (called heterozygous) on each of the two corresponding genes. If it were two mutations on each of the two genes (homozygous) - that's worse. So what does it mean? I have a small problem dissolving blood clots and metabolizing vitamin B and folic acid. Nothing too bad as far as treatment; I'll need to take extra folic acid for the rest of my life and if I have surgery, they may need to give me blood thinner. We'll need to get our kids checked for this genetic mutation as well.

5. Acid reflux has officially struck. I feel like I have a hole in my esophagus.

6. I officially can not fit into any of my jeans. In fact, I gave them back to Mark to bring back home. Have gained 16.5 lbs total, to date. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, I'm just carrying really low, so pants just don't fit easily.

7. I still receive a weekly shot of Progesterone to ward of preterm labor and avoid continued shortening of the cervix. However, now I take anti-nausea medication prior to the shot, which helps tons!


8. The antipartum unit is very full...and a nearby neighbor is having quads!


Happy (belated) Birthday to my dear friend, Emily. Emmers, I love and miss you!

Happy Birthday, Christy!! I hope you had a great day on Friday.

Happy Birthday, Adam and Andrew. Your mommy wrote you such a sweet letter.

Also, this was a good article on near-term birth that I recently read. I think I got it from the blog above, but I'm not sure.

2 comments:

Allison said...

That seems so crazy that you go so long without an ultrasound... weird. The girl I know that is pregnant with Quads is named Laura...she doesn't happen to be your neighbor, does she? :)

Avery & Hailey said...

How awesome that your goal is 34 weeks and it's in sight!! AMEN on the progesterone shots and nausea! I thought it was in my head when I was taking them! I have antiphospolipid syndrom which is some sort of clotting disorder as well. I was on lovenox and aspirin during this last pregnancy. I tell you, I really envied those women that had those "easy" pregnacies...but then I realized I think everyone has a little something that happens during pregnancy or childbirth!

Take care!