Thursday, October 30, 2008

Update 10/30 8:30 am

***I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all of your comments to the blog or emails. I read every single one. They are such an encouragement to me and it is awesome knowing that we have so many people praying and pulling for Hunter! Please feel free to pass on our prayer request to anyone you think may be willing to pray. We're not going to hide our struggles...the more prayer the better!...and in hopes that our experience or Hunter's life could be a testimony to someone else.***

I woke up today while it was still dark, begging for the sun to rise and let some sunshine into my room. I was wide awake and just couldn't sleep. No matter, because by 6:30, I was already being visited by nurses and techs.

I got up, got dressed in my cute Gap maternity clothes and even put on some mascara and eyeliner. Why? I have no idea. I was going through the motions. Perhaps because it brings a little more normalcy into my life? At least I feel put together. As I was getting dressed, I was quickly reminded of the blog post I entered just a few short days ago to "Not Lose Hope" - little did I know, I'd need to really pull from my own advice that miracles happen and take a good dose of my own medicine. And I also remembered the post from two weeks ago...that I know our case could be so much worse...well, now it actually is. Kind of ironic. BUT, I still have the same amount of perseverance and hope, that's for sure.

Very early, a lab tech came into my room and drew (drained) a lot of blood she needed for the tests to start exploring any possible disease or blood disorder. I actually laughed to myself remembering when we first got pregnant with Hunter - I thought, oh good, we don't have to do IVF again and that means no needles! Ha. Little did I know I'd get just as many later on in the game.

One of my doctors, or as I called him, my "Knight In Shining Scrubs"...came into my room as well. I asked him the questions I'd written down after my conversation with Mark last night.
1) What are the risks to baby with low amniotic fluid?
No risks with low fluid. Some pregnancies go whole way with low fluid "just because". I didn't have this issue with my last pregnancy. See this in slender women. Baby just doesn't have whole lot of room to swim around, but doesn't affect them negatively. If no fluid at all, or reaches a really low point, then they'll take baby out.
2) Reason for low amniotic fluid?
Likely due to placenta problems in this case. Just not producing a lot.
3) Do we need to monitor baby's heart more than 3 x a day?
No, that is good amount for now. If see dips, then we'll do it more often.
4) How frequently will we need ultrasounds, given the info heard last night?
Once to twice a week for now. This is sufficient. If the nutrients traveling in the cord from the placenta become more restricted and that level gets worse, we will see that flagged by the heart monitoring as there will be increased dips in baby's heart rate. So, that will act as our red flag.

Poor Mark. Here I was dropping this bombshell littered with fear inducing news last night. Please pray for him. He says he's fine, of course, but I can only imagine the stress that may be growing inside of him. Not only does he have the worry of the life of his unborn son, but now he has the added worry of the health of his wife. I hate to make him go through any of this. He is so good to us. I don't want to worry him. Of course, he would never admit it, but I just don't want him to stress. I hope work will be a good distraction for him.

So now the sun is shining brightly and, although fear creeps in from time to time, I really am doing okay. Although I know the reality of it, and yes, I get really scared! ...I REALLY believe that everything is going to work out and be alright! May have potholes along our road, but eventually, all will be just fine. Trying to stay upbeat! That's what this baby needs. Also needs a good, big breakfast...which I'm about to eat! :)

"Be strong and full of courage; do not fear nor be afraid of them, for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave nor forsake you."
Deut 31:6

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hi, I read your blog daily and am a friend of Mary's. You give such inspiration! Even despite the tough times you are going through right now I am amazed at your faith and strength! Keep fighting hard and we will continue to pray for you!
Amy

Trista & Chris said...

Just wanted to let you know I am faithfully praying for you and baby Hunter! You are both so strong, but not in your own strength, the strength of the Lord! Your faith in His might and His perfect will for your precious family inspires me so much. God is already using this trial for good and for His glory and Phil 1:6 says: being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;
Much love,
Trista

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

You are doing such a great job holding on, every day counts but even if he comes sooner than hoped, God knows and has Hunter in his loving hands.