Friday, October 17, 2008

Update 10/17 1 pm

Family and friends,

This is the easiest way for me to let you know what's going on. Yesterday's appointment did not go well. The baby is just fine, but in danger of going into delivery.

First the good news:
Baby is measuring 1 week 2 days ahead of schedule in growth.
Baby is 2 lbs 3 oz
All organs look good and heartbeat strong
We got two pictures in 3D! It was amazing and I'll post when possible.

Not so good news:
Cervix has continued to shorten and begun to dilate. Basically, my water is on the verge of breaking at any time. Membranes and fluid have assumed the funneling shape against the inside of the cervix that is indicative of when a woman's water is going to break.
It is too early for baby to be born and would likely not survive. Especially because he is a MALE baby and caucasian - their lungs take the longest to develop.

OB wants me admitted to the hospital in Houston for remainder of pregnancy. Necessary to be in Houston because if baby is born early, he will receive best care at these facilities. Beaumont doesn't have level 3 NICU (where baby would need to be) and if born in Beaumont, he would have to be life flighted to Houston. So, best I stay here. Want me to get to 32 weeks (I'm 26 weeks now) at least, but pray we get to see January of 2009! Perinatologist will assume role of my primary doctor now. Waiting to get call from him to see which hospital to go to.

Mark is with Madison right now at her apt at Texas Childrens. Killing me to not be able to be there with her to comfort her. We are currently setting up plans in place for someone/s to take care of Madison over the next three months. Challenging with Mark's busy work schedule, currently. Very, very difficult emotionally for me and stressful for Mark, too. Have shed many, many tears about this unexpected news. Although we know it's best to think longterm and most important to do what's best and safest to get our son here safely, it is still very hard not to get sad and think about so many things in the present. I can't imagine being away from my daughter for three months. Yet I know this is a drop in the bucket for giving her happinness with a sibling for the rest of her life. A sacrifice we will of course make for our son. As hard as it is, I can't help but immediately think that there are many women who would gladly trade places with me just to even have a baby. We are so, so blessed.

Right now, we are walking in the hands of God. Actually, I don't have the strength to walk. He's just pushing us along, really carrying us. We trust he'll provide a way through this and guide us. Please pray for decisions being made over the weekend regarding the hospital admission, that Hunter stays in my belly as long as possible, and that all works out for Madison/Mark.

Either myself or my friend Tana will update you again regarding Madison's apt and further news. We have heavy hearts now, but are very hopeful and appreciate your support and prayers.

Love,

Danae

1 comment:

The Arnold Family said...

Danae, I am so sorry to hear this news. I will be sure to add you, Madison, and Mark to our prayer list at church (they pray every Wednesday night over each and every concern or praise that is raised in our church).