Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Update 10/27

I wanted to give an update on my day yesterday.

First, the most important news is that we got the test results back from Madison's EEG at Texas Children's Hospital. It came out clear!! Perfectly normal!! So, it was probably a behavioral thing (the head shaking) caused by Madison's ear fluid trouble, but we want to get to the bottom of it an find out. There are a couple neurological things in family history, so we need to rule those out. Mark is supposed to talk directly to a Neurophysiologist from the hospital. We just don't want to let this ball drop, but find out what we should do next. But, Praise the Lord that the test came out conclusive and that it was clear of any siezural activity!!

In the morning, my neighbor in Beaumont, Greta, came to visit me. She is also a hair stylist. And she highlighted my hair!!!! Thank God. It was wonderful. I mean, not that I have anyone to impress here, but it just makes me feel better about myself. If I'm going to be here for a few months, then my gosh, I can't let my hair go. Women, you know how important that is. :) And, whenever this baby comes, I'd hate to have awful looking hair in all of those pictures that I'd have to live with for the rest of my life! Not that I would be the primary subject of the photograph - no, that would be the baby. But, I would see my hair and it would probably bother me. Anyway, I am freshly touched up to be the light, summer blonde that I once was when I was 5 years old... We had a great time, she brought me a coveted cheeseburger and fries, and it was fun to joke around. And yes, she did my hair while I was lying in bed! She is talented. yes, the doctor approved of it prior.

I got two big surprises yesterday:
1) a package from my friend, Anna Juby! Inside was two books (chic lit, my guilty pleasure, which Anna shares), magazine, crossword puzzle, cute card, Halloween socks and lots of fruity candy - which I'd been craving. Thank you, Anna (and Anne Botts) for taking the time to find the items, wrap them up, and send them to me!
2) a big box from a sweet woman - who hardly knows me!!! She's been following our story on our blog. Her name is Michelle and she is mutual friends with our friends, The Arnolds; we met she and her husband briefly at the Arnold's wedding several years ago. It touched me beyond words that, not even really knowing me, she went through all the trouble to send me a care package. I was so surprised. She was touched by our story, has shared some similar struggles, and gave great christian encouragement to us. She sent a devotional, another christian book, two christian CDs she made, and a sweet card. Thank you, Michelle!

So, as I wrote about below, I did change rooms. After 10 whole days of staying within the same four walls...I got to go out in the hallway! Actually, it was only because I was being wheeled into my next room. Nonetheless, I got to step outside those four walls...It can feel like you're stuck in a prison cell or something. I am happy in my large room and happy not to be woken up at 6 am each morning by the nurses. (My old room was right next to the nurses' station.) However, where I'm located now is at the end of the hall in the corner - and really isolated from any other activity outside my door. Even though I couldn't go outside my door in my old room, it was nice to hear some sort of life outside during the day! Plus, I could keep up on the gossip of what was going on on our floor. :) (Did I tell you that on Saturday, two sets of triplets were born and the woman who was two doors down from me had her Quints? So exciting! She made it to 33 weeks and was only in the hospital for a few weeks!) Anyway, back to my room - I guess you take the good with the bad. And I'm so not moving again, unless they make me!

They have several services here at the hospital that patients can use as really advantageous resources. I've been really impressed. So far, I've been visited by a Neonatologist, a Dietician and Nutritionist, a Social Worker, and next week I'll see a Child Development expert. They've just talked to me to offer their services and let me know they're available if I feel I need them in the future.

So the Social Worker came in to meet me (this is routine for all of their "long term bed-resters"). She walked in and said, "Oh, you're dressed. And you have makeup and your hair is done. And you've decorated your room. I see you're not having much trouble coping here?" Evidentally, some women stay in their hospital gown, don't do anything to their rooms, and can easily slip into a funk (aka depression). I said that wasn't going to happen to me! I learned from the first time around on bed rest that it's important for self-morale...so every morning, I get up early, get dressed, do my hair and/or makeup, and then I'm ready for my (big) day. :) So, the social worker just wanted to see how I was doing, offered supporting resources (I told her that I, too, had a website and she was impressed), and talked to me about being on bed rest while having a child at home. She asked how Madison was reacting and gave me tips on how to better integrate her into these new changes here at the hospital and back at home. It was great. She also said they have a Child Development expert that can come give me tips on further helping Madison cope with the changes now and when I return home - and especially with a new baby, etc. And what to expect from madison at this age.

Better go - need to monitor.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

So happy the results came back clear for Madison. I enjoy reading your post and sounds like you are doing good admist the circumstances.