Saturday, October 18, 2008

Update 10/18

I'm a little drained, but want to give an update on what's gone on thus far. This is a long post, but now that I have borrowed a computer (until I get mine next weekend), they won't be as lengthy going forward.

Last night 10/18, Mark took me to the hospital at 10 pm. It took a while to get here because I needed to make sure madison was going to be all set, in terms of doctors' info, emergency contact info, schedule listed, and lists of food and baby supplies prepared for Tana. The best part of the night was being able to spend some quality last moments at home with madison. The most difficult part was laying her down in her bed, kissing her sweet face all over, and knowing that it would be a long time until I could take care of her in the way that only Mommy's can do. Although I know that realistically, 3 months is not an extremely long period of time, right now it seems like an unfathomable eternity to me. I am looking long-term in this situation, but right now, the present-time is saturating all of my thoughts.

That night, the nurses did lots of tests. One was for Group B Strep, which is routine in any pregnancy. They won't get the results back for several days, but went ahead and started me on antibiotics to fight any possible infection that could harm the baby if he is born early. I asked why they couldn't wait until we got the results, but was told the baby could come before the results came back, and they wanted to treat me with medicine just in case. I also got two rounds of steroid shots to promote baby's lung development and try to prevent any bleeding of the brain if he is born early. (However, Hunter and I have an agreement that he is not coming until Jan 2009.) I was hooked up to a couple IV's and changed rooms twice. Long story. (This afternoon, I finally got into my own private room and thankful to now have cell reception and internet access tonight.)

This morning 10/19, I met with an associate of my Perinatologist. Her name is Dr. Adams and I'm not sure if she's taking on my case from now on or what, but sure I'll find out soon. Anyhow, she did two things: A) Explained why it took so long for me to be admitted to the hospital and B) Clearly solidified why it is necessary I am here.

Basically, out of professional courtesy and because at the time, my primary care provider was my OB, they needed to speak and consult with him, first. He doesn't work on Fridays, but they contacted him in the morning. The Peri told the OB I needed to be in the hospital and decision was agreed upon. The holdup in admitting me was because of certain policies (too many to explain); because my OB is in another city, there was a lot of red tape and hoops to be jumped through. Dr. Adams said that she stepped in and broke all the rules, but for me not to worry because I'm here and that's what counts.

Next, she solidified exactly why I need to be here. She explained why my water is at high risk of breaking. At 28-30 weeks, she ideally wants to see the baby's head decend very low into the pelvic cavity. This will actually reduce the pressure of the membranes and water that is funneled there now, trying to break through. How? The broad surface of his head will help to displace that pressure and distribute it away from the cervix (physics). However, if he is breech, or worse, if his foot is down there, the risk of water breaking will still be very high. She compared it to if she were to step on my foot, I'd rather her use a flat tennis shoe than a spikey high heel. The high heel (i.e. baby's pointy foot) would do more damage. If baby is decended deep with head down at that time, the risk of water breaking will diminish completely and she said I MAY be able to go home and resume bed rest there!!! That was wonderful news to hear, although I know it is no guarantee. Many factors involved and things change daily, so we'll just go with the flow. Still, it was good to hear some potentially good news. She heard me couging a little because of a small cold I caught when I got to Houston and stopped mid-sentence to ask me about it. Apparently, coughing can cause water to break. Who knew? They immediately started me on cough suppressant, antibiotic, and regular respiratory breathing treatments. I really don't sound bad at all, but evidentally everyone here wants that to be taken care of and gone asap. Good news is I can at least get out of bed still to go to the restroom by myself, thank God. So, I'm not totally strapped to this bed...

Baby has been monitored several times a day. Hunter is moving around regularly, heartbeat is strong and no contractions whatsoever, so those are great signs.

The Peri sent the Neonatologist into speak with me for about 45 minutes and sign paperwork, etc. She needed to tell me what to expect if we have a 26 or 27 week old baby and to prepare me for what could occur. It was very in-depth and to the point. Because we had either been exposed to or gone through many of the issues, procedures and tests when Madison was in the NICU, it did not come as a shock to me and I wasn't frightened as one would be hearing it for the first time. If a baby is born at 23-24 weeks here, they have about a 60-70% rate of survival. However, leading cause of death is infection, which is easy to occur. Survival rates dramatically go up each week the baby can stay in Mommy's tummy. If born now, the main issues are lung development, bleeding/fluid on brain, apnea and vision damage. Another issue may be digestive. Strict procedures set in place for each issue. It is amazing to me how the human body is so incredibly intracate. God is so awesome. We can't even grasp the compexity of the human body and easily take for granted how much goes on while growing a life in our belly. How great is it that God has allowed advancements in technology and medical research so that doctors can even try to heal pre-term babies.

Bottom line, we want Hunter to stay in to at least 32 weeks old. 34 is even better. 35 would be great. And so forth, especially because he's a little boy and needs longer to develop.

Today was a long day, but emotionally, much better than yesterday. I was thrilled to receive 3 beautiful bouquets of flowers!!! Thank you Craig and Celia, thank you Shelly and Trista, and thank you Jon, Mary and Vera!!! You don't know how that brightened my day and my little room. :) Also, our Beaumont neighbors Craig and Celia visited with me for about an hour here! It was wonderful. The best part of the day was being able to see Mark and Madison this evening. They stayed for about 3 hrs. I got to hold Madison next to me in bed, brush my fingers through her hair, talk to her, see her run around and climb on anything she could possibly climb on. It was the best feeling. Of course, it was hard to see them go. So, so hard. But I'm thankful for that time.

I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with Madison and Mark today.
I'm thankful for the loving and supportive friends, family and strangers who have showed they care in so many ways.
I'm thankful for those who will be and are currently taking care of my daughter.
I'm thankful for Mark, who is sacrificing so much right now.
I'm thankful that we have insurance and Mark has a good job.
I'm thankful that I live in a country where I can receive the best medical care.
I'm thankful my baby boy stayed inside one more day today.
I'm thankful that God is leading the way.

No comments: