Friday, November 14, 2008

Just my thoughts...

This is a post I wrote yesterday but hadn't published it...and will post another update for today. Has been a great day - Tana, Micheala and Hayden came to visit me! And, Mark is on his way...so I'll post again this evening. Hope everyone is having a good day...

Here in the hospital, I get the "scoop" on various events on our floor. I hear lots of happy, success stories of the women having twins, triplets (and even quints!). Unfortunately, I also hear unhappy stories, too. I have to keep things in perspective - yes, I'm going to hear of emergency issues/unhappy endings - being here in the hospital, one should expect that. But, these occurrances are very rare in the outside world!

Here are two stories that will pull at your heart, for different reasons:

Two days ago, my nurse saw that another patient's baby's heart monitoring did not look normal (active). It had looked active and healthy in the past, but not this day. A doctor was called and in an ultrasound, they suddenly found a tumor in the brain and the beginning of a hemorrage. The patient was transported to a near-by hospital (I can see it from my window), known for their brain surgeons. She would have an emergency c-section and the baby would go into immediate brain surgery. Happily, the monitoring caught this early. Also, the baby was a little over 36 weeks along, so old enough to attempt the surgery. Sadly, the mom/dad were a young couple, in their early twenties, with no family nearby. It was so rare and so sudden, that it was shocking to everyone. I'm waiting to hear an update on the baby from my nurse.

Today, my nurse came to check on me; I wasn't in my bed, but she called my name and I was in the restroom. Then, she told me that she recently checked on one of her patients who was on bed rest, but could not find her in her room (I hear women will be caught walking around on occasion) or anywhere else. Soon, they found that the woman went down the elevator, out of the hospital and across the street to a nearby Shell gas station - to buy drugs (crack) from someone. Then came back to the hospital!

Can you believe? So, here we have two completely different scenarios...so many women, like myself, are doing everything in their power to bring their babies into the world. Then, you have a woman like this, who is purposefully endangering her baby's life. I was so angry at first. But then, I just felt really sad for that second woman, as I did the other woman in my first story. She must have been really sick and addicted to those drugs. It still makes me mad, though.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I recently heard a story from my old coworkers about a pediatric patient who kept disappearing and they finally figured out that he was escaping to smoke pot with his MOM! Wacko.