Thursday, November 6, 2008

Q & A

I've received several repeated questions via emails or blog comments, so I'm going to post some of them here for convenience. Please feel free to ask me anything and I'll try to answer if I can!

Q: How did I make Madison’s footprints?
A: At home, I’ve come to realize the best way to get decent looking hand/foot prints (aka not smeared) is to put her in her high chair to keep her still and play a Baby Einstein DVD to allow her to focus on something else. I have the art supplies next to me, as well as both wet and dry paper towels for immediate clean-up. Washable ink stamp pads work best on most surfaces. However, acrylic paint washes off easily and this works well, too. At the hospital, it’s a bit trickier as I don’t have any art supplies besides markers and she is easily distracted. It has been a two-person job here. For example, in order to get her footprint, I’ll ask one person to stand her upright on a piece of construction paper. As she’s watching someone else distract her or a DVD, a second person uses a pencil to trace around her feet. I will either use the print as is, or if I want the individual toe prints to show, I use the outline of her footprint but draw in her toe prints free-hand (as I did in the picture with the wheat stalks).

Q: Do I usually place foot print/hand print on paper before drawing an image around it, or do I draw the image first and then place her foot/hand print on the paper?
A: I always place her foot/hand print on the paper, first. Then, I’ll go back and draw an image (reindeer, wheat stalk, butterfly, etc.) around the hand/footprint.

Q: Where do I get Madison's monogrammed dresses and outfits?
A: I get them from a variety of places. Why all the monogramming...well, because I'm a true Southern girl, and that means everything is monogrammed. Anyhow, I like to go to http://www.missprissstyle.com/, http://www.thebusylittleb.com/, http://www.carrottopclothes.com/, and there are people on Ebay who make dresses and monogram them for you that I've used. What I have been doing lately, is taking dresses or outfits I buy elsewhere to a local shop that does monogramming, and they'll do it for me for only about $9! In Beaumont, I go to The Tiny Hiney shop, where Stitch It On does my embroidery. Currently, they are making Big Sister/Little Brother tops for Madison and Hunter.

Q: Do I have Hunter’s nursery ready?
A: No…unfortunately I’ve not been able to do anything for his nursery or get any other baby gear thus far due to other financial obligations (2 hurricanes and hospital stay), but I hope to do a nursery soon – ok, well at least order something online! At least he’ll be in Madison’s bassinet for the first few months of his life.

Q: Do I get to meet/visit any other patients here in the hospital?
A: Unfortunately, no. In the Ante Partum wing (where I’m at) we’re all mostly on bed rest trying NOT to have our babies early… But funny you should ask because I asked the social worker the same thing! I wondered if, like in a rehab program, you get together for “group sessions” or anything?? I don’t’ know, to perhaps “talk about our feelings” or whatever (not my thing)… Anyway, she said they started to do that – they would actually wheel people’s beds together in one big room!! (I was only originally thinking wheelchairs, never thought of beds…) For one reason or another, the meetings got discontinued. HOWEVER…I have met most of the nurses who are very kind…and each shift I ask them for the floor’s scoop: Any gossip, anyone having babies, anything exciting happening…Hey, what else do I have to do?

Q: How is the food?
A: It’s not the best food I’ve ever had (obviously), but it’s actually not too bad! The original menu has a wide variety of items, but they also offer off-menu special items each week. So, not as bland as normal hospital food…but not like home. And, I’ll always take food from “the outside” if visitors offer!

Q: Do you still see your OB/GYN or who is your primary doctor now?
A: Once I entered the hospital, my primary care was taken over by my initial Perinatologist and his whole practice. My OB/GYN still calls me once a week just to check in and see how I’m doing – isn’t that sweet? Houston Perinatal Associates has 6 doctors that see me. They’re nationally renowned and also very kind to me. Only two are from America, so it’s really neat to get all of these bright minds together with experience from all over the world. It’s kind of like meeting with the U.N…they are from South Africa, Belgium, Italy, and Spain, I think.

Q: How is the hospital?
A: I’m certainly in good hands…this hospital delivers more babies than any other hospital in Texas. It is in the largest medical center in the world. The physicians are nationally renowned and are from private practices only. They have an outstanding NICU, too. They do not allow fellows, residents or med students to treat babies. – and not that I think that’s a bad thing, personally, it’s just their rules.

Q: Any tips for someone on bedrest?
A: Try to establish as much normalcy as possible by setting a routine. Get dressed each morning, do your hair, order breakfast, make a short list of things you can do today, check your email, and continue this through the day. Do things that make you feel good about yourself - dressing in nice clothes, keeping up with your appearance (as possible), do your nails, put on makeup. Keep your mind busy! Make a list of everything you can get done while laying down - catch up on your reading, learn a new language, learn new software (I'm learning photography editing software), make online scrapbooks, organize pictures (we're all behind on that!), catch up on correspondence, online shopping, get ahead with Christmas gifts, etc. Make your hospital room a cheery place, one feeling more like "home" - decorate your walls with seasonal decorations or cards, get posterboard that all your visitors can sign, get a Glad plug-in or candle warmer to make it smell nice, etc. And, it's so important for your friends and family to surround you in support and love - I could not get through this without all of my very best girlfriends and family!!!

No comments: