Friday, November 14, 2008

My Determined Child

I told you she loves rocks....we find them everywhere!! She is learning that rocks stay outside...not inside the house...although, when she was at my mom's house, Grammy actually WASHED the rocks so Madison could bring them inside. ...something only a grandmother would do...
Picture below represents Madison's latest version of throwing a small temper tantrum...I just had to document it...she doesn't actually kick her feet/wave her arms...she'll just immediately lay on the floor...nothing else...I know what you're saying..."just wait...this is only the beginning..."
Good idea for Mommy's Christmas stocking this year: The newly revised edition of "The Strong-willed Child" by James Dobson...

So why do I even post something like this? Well, this blog also serves as my journal/somewhat of a baby book as well. So, for my sake, I just want to document this. Anyow, Madison is beginning to show a bit of defiance lately....For example:
Madison has several shape-sorters at home which she is very good at and plays with often. One is more advanced with odd-shaped pieces (not your typical square, circle, triangle, etc.). Madison had the white piece (there is only one white piece) which is shaped like a milk carton. Anyhow, she was banging it loudly against the glass in our front door. My mom told her, "No, no no"...first in her sweet grandmotherly voice (not the firm voice that moms use, you know the kind sing-song voices only grandmothers use)...and Madison continued. My mom told her "No" again, more firmly. And Madison continued. My mom told her "No" more firmly and redirected her attention by taking the white piece away from her and walking Madison to her bedroom to meet Mark. My mom then put the white piece back inside the shape sorter, at the very bottom, then put the sorter away on the shelf. Madison got the shape sorter down from the shelf, dug through to the bottom and found the same white piece (not just any piece would do, it had to be that white piece). As she then walked out the door, she looked back at Grammy and Daddy. She walked to the front door...and lifted her hand to bang that darn piece against the door again. Daddy swept in and scooped her up quickly...and she got in trouble.
She knew exactly what she was doing and she was going to show them! I laughed...but of course, from the safety of my hospital room.
Finally, I loved the story my friend Kim told me of when her daughter got into an industrial size container of Vaseline...spreading it all over her room and in her hair...Kim actually had to call the 1-800-Vaseline hotline to ask them how to get it out of hair! She had to use a hot hairdryer to melt/liquify the petroleum jelly and then dab it out of the hair with a towel...and then wash it...after doing this 35 separate times...her hair still looked greasy. Eventually, of course, it wore off. Oh my goodness....!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Is she 18 months now? Someone told me early on that the two's really start at 18 months and I have found that to be true. Hang in there, I have a strong willed
2nd one so I'm trying to learn the ropes too!